St Columbkille’s Catholic Church – Woolloomooloo
St Columbkille’s Church, McElhone Street, Woolloomooloo.
Mass is celebrated weekly at St Columbkille’s on Sundays at 9.00am.
CHRISTMAS MASS TIMES
ABOUT THE CHURCH
The foundation stone of St Columbkille’s was laid on Sunday 24th May 1885 by Cardinal Moran.
The church was designed by Sheerin and Hennessy, architects. It was blessed and opened on Sunday 15th August 1886 by the Cardinal. An outstanding internal feature of the church is the splendid marble altar, presented by Mrs Hughes of Elizabeth Bay.
St Columbkille’s originally functioned as a church-school, the school during the week being staffed by the Sisters of Charity, and Mass being celebrated on Sundays by one of the Cathedral priests. Woolloomooloo has never had a separate Parish: St Columbkille’s is a “chapel of ease” in the Cathedral Parish.
St Mary’s Cathedral
(02) 9220 0400